Sunday 3 June 2018

Larger than Life; The Kevin Aucoin Story

Linda Matarasso and Kevin Aucoin
Larger than Life: The Kevin Aucoin Story
Directed by: Tiffany Bartok
Synopsis: Legendary makeup artist Kevyn Aucoin arrived in New York City from the small town of Lafayette, Louisiana after spending his childhood expressing himself through drawing, painting, and makeup application. In search of relief from the confusion and isolation stemming from his sexual identity and constant bullying, Kevyn found an acceptance in the fashion world that was instant and explosive. Due to his groundbreaking contouring techniques, his infectious personality and mission to make everyone feel beautiful, he quickly shot to fame doing makeup for every supermodel and celebrity throughout the 80’s and 90’s. At the height of his fame in 2002, Kevyn died mysteriously. LARGER THAN LIFE explores every corner of Kevyn’s rich, beautiful and complicated life through the story of his untimely passing and the inspiring legacy he left behind.
Last night I went to see the documentary Larger than Life: The Kevin Aucoin Story at the Inside Out Film Festival showing at the Tiff Bell Lightbox in Toronto.  I only found out about the film from watching a morning show segment with the director and immediately wanted to go see the film.  Luckily a friend of mine actually had tickets he couldn't use so I was able to see the film and I was so happy that I didn't miss it because Kevin Aucoin was my makeup Idol when I was learning makeup in the 80's and doing makeup as a freelancer for the next 30 years.  He was a huge influence on me but I could never be as talented as he was and there are very few makeup artist to ever come close to his talent.  His death left a huge hole in the Makeup Industry.  The transformations of male to female and female to male were beyond drag makeup and were more mind bending and pure art form tromp l'oile. 
I was also able to meet Kevin at a small book signing for his book Making Faces.  I can't remember exactly when that was but all I can remember is that it was a very brief chat and I was on the way to New York and I remember telling him that I just squeezed in going to see him before going to the airport.  I believe it was only a couple of years before his untimely death.
After watching the documentary I found out a whole other side that wasn't well known and that affected his health and how he coped with it.  Cher was instrumental in discovering his rare disease of extreme growth that cause him daily pain that turned into an addiction to prescription pills and so many talented people have unfortunately passed the same way.  
The documentary was a beautiful portrait of a mix of family home movies, stories from friends, family and some of the celebrities he formed bonds with.
It's very sad that he passed away so soon, who knows what ground breaking trends and innovations he would have created or in the fight against homophobia and discrimination.
note:  note the hand on my shoulder, there is a lot of talk of his hands in the film and you will find out why if you see it.
The film will be available of Itunes I believe in July 2018.  I recommend seeing it if you want to see a bit of makeup history and if you have an interest in a man who was a defender of gay rights.

Th


No comments:

Post a Comment