Monday 1 April 2024

Hot Docs 2024 -Drama & Picks

 

     APRIL 25 to May 5th, 2024.


This year's Hot Docs will be much different than previous Hot Docs for many reasons. I have been going to Hot Docs for years and volunteered for a short time, so I got to know some people who put the festival together.  These people are knowledgeable, kind and have Integrity.  This year with the exit of the 2 driving forces at the top of the list, Creative Director Shane Smith and Executive Director Chris MacDonald, and the change of the leadership at the top things didn't go as well as they usually did.  They brought in Creative Director Hussain Currimbhoy, who was said to create a toxic environment.  Marie Nelson became the President.  But ever-present were the programmers who after many years of experience pursued finding great films under more and more difficult circumstances.

After the decimation of cash flow caused by Covid closures and cutbacks and people's cautious return to big festivals the funding environment of any arts organization in Toronto became more difficult.  But add a toxic environment at the hands of its leaders and you create a powder keg ready to blow.  Just as Hot Docs was about to present their 2024 Press Conference there was a mass exodus of the programming team.  I have never seen this happen in over 20 years of attending festivals in Toronto.  I know a couple of the programmers and I know they are passionate about film and would not do this unless they saw no other choice.  

But they still did their job and there will be films at this year's festival.  I do hope that these events won't cast a shadow on the work of the documentary filmmakers who struggle to have their work completed and seen.

I wasn't at the Press Conference but someone I know was and it seemed as though Marie Nelson had to spend most of the time discussing what happened and why the programmers left.  

So this year will not have the people who programmed the films introducing them to audiences but I hope that you still go see the films and support the filmmaker.   The festival needs financial support to keep going and you can voice your wishes with feedback at the festival.

I put together a list of my Picks based on subjects and stories that seem interesting to me.  These generally fall into the categories of pop culture, environment, food and inspirational stories.

Here is my list and will see how many I get to see and what my thoughts are after I see them:

  • Luther: Never Too Much
  • Beard
  • Born Hungry
  • Charles Officer Memorial Screening of Mighty Jerome
  • The Click Trap
  • Cyborg Generation 
  • Disco's Revenge
  • Eno
  • Eternal You
  • Farming the Revolution
  • The Here Now Project
  • Limits of Europe
  • Me, Michael and I 
  • Michel Gondry, Do It Yourself 
  • The Outpost
  • A Photographic Memory 
  • Secret Mall Apartment
  • Seeking Mavis Beacon
  • So This Is Christmas
  • Stray Bodies
  • Union 
  • The White Mountain
  • Any Other Way: The Jackie Shane Story 

 

I'm not going to give you the synopsis because I want you to go to the Hot Docs website and look up these films and others that might interest you.

Harvey Lalonde won't be there to take your tickets but I am sure he is sad to see his favourite people gone but would still wish he could be there to see you.



Hot Docs Festival | Hot Docs

BUY YOUR TICKETS HOTDOCS.CA 

Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema Box Office 506 Bloor Street West

Screening Tickets SCREENINGS: $20–$23 ($18–$20 FOR MEMBERS) 6-TICKET BUNDLE: $99 ($89 FOR MEMBERS) Special Events not included (p. 6–7) SPECIAL EVENTS: FREE–$27 ($24 FOR MEMBERS) 


Screening Ticket Packages Perfect for sharing—enjoy Festival screenings and special events with your friends! Redeem tickets in advance online or in person at the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema Box Office. 12-PACK: $209 ($188 FOR MEMBERS) 20-PACK: $299 ($269 FOR MEMBERS)


No comments:

Post a Comment