Saturday 22 July 2023

Barbie Movie out of the Box

Sometimes I feel compelled to write a review of a film even if it's not a film festival film that I have been accredited to review.

This film was a ride from beginning to the end.  Talk about getting Barbie outside of the Box.  This film is not what you think it would be.  It's a spectacle as you would imagine,  think La La Land and Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory mixed with Hidden Figures and Erin Brocovitch.  


This is the case with the new BARBIE movie Directed by Greta Gerwig.  

There are dance sequences, loads of crazy sets, crazy fashion and oh so much diversity.

Starring Margo Robbie as stereotypical Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken.  After seeing them you can't really imagine anyone else performing those roles.  Margo is the perfect mix of vulnerability, intelligence and fun.   Ryan Gosling is clueless, over the top and extra.

The cast is rounded out with Simu Liu the other rival Ken to Ryan Gosling and the 3rd Canadian in the film is Michael Cera who is sensitive and neglected Allan.  His character was so funny.

The casting of this film was perfection with the following cast members and cameos with:

  • Kate MacKinnon as Weird Barbie who tells Barbie to go to the real world.
  • John Cena pops up in a spectacular ensemble as Ken.
  • Dua Lipa pops up every now and then but I won't say as what.
  • America Ferrera is the Mom who tries to save Barbie.
  • Will Farrell is the CEO of Mattel.  As you can imagine his usual hilarious self.
  • Rhea Perlman is the inventor of Barbie
  • Helen Mirren isn't even seen and she adds so much to the film.
This film is spectacular, hilarious and thought provoking.
The sets were mostly real and it really looks like a Barbie world.


The thing I enjoyed the most was the dialogue.  Fast and smart with lines you will take away with you for a while.
America Ferrera's speech on what it's like to be a woman is epic and should be shown to every teen girl.

You can certainly tell that Greta Gerwig had something to say that was decades in the making and she really put everything into this film.   

It's most definitely a female director perspective and I don't think anyone else would have made it the same way.

I went with a group of friends and one Ken who didn't like how Ken was the bad guy in the film.

It takes a searing look at patriarchy and who male privilege has ruled the world.

The screening I went to was like nothing I have ever seen before.  There was pink everywhere and so many people wearing shoes they could barely walk in.   My friends and I all wore some pink and I wish we had a shot of all of us.  We weren't over the top but a nod to Barbie.   Someone asked to take a photo with us after the movie.  We should have asked them to take one for us... didn't think of it at the time.

We did take photos in the Box installation at the theatre.  There was a long lineup of people waiting to do selfies.  We split up into 2's to get our pics in so mine was with my friend Lisa.

This was the most popular Marketing I have ever seen at a theatre.   People came to be seen and experience this movie.

The fact that Barbie is over 60 years old now shows how many generations connected to Barbie.  Even if you never had a Barbie you know all about the legendary doll.

I haven't had that much fun at a movie in a very long time if ever.  I even had to sit by myself because I waited too long to get tickets and it was almost sold out by the time I did a week before.   The people on either side of me were also really enjoying it.

I really hope Greta Gerwig gets a bunch of Academy Award Nominations because this film was truly original, entertaining and filled with so many things to think about.

I want to see more films like this and less guns, and car chases and murders.   

I like to go to the movies to have fun and escape the stress of life.  This is the kind of film that suspends all other thoughts of anything but what's happening on the screen.

I don't do ratings but I would give it 9 Barbies.



 Watching the film is like going to an amusement park.  What a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment